If you're thinking of joining a new church planting work like Disciples Church Springfield you may want to consider this list of the fors and againsts of joining a church plant. These two lists were put together by Pastor Justin Buzzard, a church-planting colleague in the Acts 29 Church Planting Network.
Firstly, the reasons for, then the reasons against.
If the quote at the end doesn't put you off, then maybe you should get in touch with us!
1. If you want to see Jesus do something new and are sick of the status quo.
2. If you dream of being part of something bigger than yourself.
3. If you want to get into a fight/enter a battle for the Kingdom of Christ.
4. If you feel a constant itch to see people who don't know Jesus come to know Jesus and you believe church planting is the best way for the Gospel to advance.
5. If you want to give your time, money, energy and talents to starting something new and you want to make sacrifices to see a mission succeed.
6. If you fully support the vision, mission, doctrine and leadership of a church plant.
7. If you want your faith to grow and you want God to fundamentally meddle with and change your life.
8. If you want to love your city.
9. If you want to watch God move in ways you never imagined and you want an adventure (with all its discomfort and risk).
10. If you're not afraid to bank your life on Matthew 16: 18.
1. If you're looking for the next cool thing in town.
We want to grow by conversion growth, not church-transfer growth.
2. If you're a Christian and you don't like your current church.
You will find reasons not to like this church.
3. If you have a bad track record at churches of being unteachable and causing problems.
You won't change here, you'll repeat the pattern.
4. If you're a consumer wanting to "go to church" once a week for a good show.
We're not a Sunday show, we're a community of disciples on a mission.
5. If you want religion.
This church will be built on the radical gospel of grace.
6. If you have an agenda.
We have our vision, our mission and our values - your private agenda does not supercede them.
7. If you're a wolf.
We will sniff you out.
8. If you think this will be a nice little church that stays the same size, where everybody knows your name and you have my mobile number on speed dial and we have a picnic lunch together every week.
By God's grace, we want to grow.
9. If you think this will be easy and smooth.
This will be hard and difficult; this will be a fight, a battle, and a challenging mission.
10. If you want to hold on to your comfortable life.
You must "lose your life."
To finish, here is a quote is from Sir Ernest Shackleton, which was part of an advertisement he placed in 1914 looking for men to join his expedition to Antarctica:
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.