Membership of Disciples Church Springfield
We love to welcome people into membership of Disciples Church Springfield. Membership is open to anyone who professes faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and who commits to serving in a local church context under Biblical oversight.
All Christians belong to the invisible church of Christ, but the Bible teaches us that we should also become united with the visible expression of the church for fellowship, equipping, nurture and service.
At Disciples Church, we don't take membership lightly.Christians are to work within their particular church for the cause of the Gospel. Therefore, church members are, in a sense, leaders and servants of the church who serve according to their abilities in accordance with Jesus’ command to love God and their neighbour. They must be trained and released to use their spiritual gifts in various ways so that they too are leading within the church, behind the Elders and Deacons, as the priesthood of believers that Scripture speaks of throughout the New Testament.
Being a Member means making a commitment to the Church, and it also means the Church is making a commitment to you. To make sure we get this right, we've put in place a simple process that we ask prospective Members to work through with us.
Here’s how to become a Member of Disciples Church Springfield:
- Attend Weekly Worship Service
- Participate in a Missional Community Group
- Sign up for our DC Connect database
2. Be A Christian
Members must confess faith in Jesus Christ as God and Saviour (and get baptised if they have not previously done so).
3. Know What We Believe & Teach
Attend the Doctrine Information Sessions, which explains who we are, what we believe, and how we operate as a church, and provides an opportunity to get to know Disciples Church Pastors and leaders. The material studied is based on the book Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe by Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears
Affirm Disciples Church beliefs by signing the Membership Covenant and living out the expectations of Members:
- Community. Live life with other Members of the family by remaining an active part of a missional community group.
- Serve. Use your gifts, talents, skills, and time to serve the church and participate in Jesus’ mission.
- Give. Members are expected to honour the Lord with their money and give according to their income.
Meet with your Missional Community Group Leader for the final membership interview.
Member privileges include participation as an active part of the family of God such as:
- More serving and leadership opportunities.
- Access to occasional “Member Only” messages on our DC Connect database.
- Open book policy extended to Members interested in reviewing Disciples Church financial information.
- The right to vote at Congregational Meetings (if 18 years of age or older).
- Pro-active Pastoral Care and Discipling.
View our membership application form HERE.